About Socket

Samuel Vanneste

Hello,
This is not really a support request but a question about the technology used. It will help me to understand (same question about npTalk). Perhaps is it a lack of knowledge.

I have installed a Redpin server (redpin.org) which accepts sockets connections and uses a REST Api. I was able to connect to that socket using some Android or Java apps I had written. But when I try to connect to it with App Builder or npTalk, the connection is refused (about npTalk, I have seen the same problem with nzPluginSocket so it is not the code used).

So, I wonder if the problem is me not understanding a crucial concept or only the technology used (the server is released under GPL so I have took a look at its code and seen nothing special).

Many thanks

decsoft

Hello Samuel,

Honestly, I am not an expert in TCP/IP nor WebSockets, however, the npTalk plugin uses the most simple components in Delphi to perform TCP/IP connections, and, on the other hand, App Builder uses the Javascript WebSocket object behind the WebSocket control to do the job.

About the npTalk behaviour, something which may can affect client and servers (not created with the npTalk plugin) is the "buffer" variable. You can take a look at the plugin help and read about the "buffer" variable used in the plugin.

About the WebSocket in App Builder, maybe a server is not capable to intereact with Javascript Websockets out of the box, so maybe you found interesting to read this Mozilla Developer Network article about how to implement a Javascript Websocket into the server.

Hope this information can help you in some manner Samuel.

Samuel Vanneste

Hello David,

Thanks a lot for the detailed information provided. I will study them and report if I do find a solution. :)

decsoft

You're welcome!

Everybody can read the DecSoft support forum for learning purposes, however only DecSoft customers can post new threads. Purchase one or more licenses of some DecSoft products in order to give this and other benefits.

This website uses some useful cookies to store your preferences.

I agree. Hide this note. Give me more information.