Dropping support for Glyphicons and other changes

decsoft

Hello to all,

For the first time in more than two years of hard development in hundreds of releases, we must communicate certain changes in DecSoft's App Builder that can break the backward compatibility with some existing applications, in other words, we are talking about some changes that can affect to existing applications, so these applications must be updated / adapted for the nexts DecSoft's App Builder releases.

Don't worry! Maybe your apps are not affected, and, if they are affected, with a few changes, you can be ready to continue use the very latest releases of DecSoft's App Builder. What are the changes that we are talking about? We refer below the changes and also the possible problems and their most appropriate solutions. Don't worry and continue reading.

Introduction

From some release ago, DecSoft's App Builder start to use the Boostrap CSS framework version 4, instead of the version 3. The Boostrap CSS 4 drop their support for the Glyphicons, if I am not wrong, and, between other things, because the CSS code used by the Glyphicons touch certain Boostrap CSS rules, which is something not very good.

Since Boostrap CSS 4 don't support the Glyphicons, we want to drop their support in App Builder too, however, and, related with the above point, this means to remove some CSS rules which affect the Boostrap CSS framework. Removing this CSS rules causes some problems, that we try to solve as best as possible.

Changes in the the Report control

Once we drop the support for the Glyphicons, and, also remove their CSS code, we can say that now we are using the Boostrap CSS 4 in a proper way: no old Boostrap CSS 3 code is now placed in our applications. In fact our apps can appear exactly like before, except for the Report control. The Report control has now enhanced with a new variable named "RowClasses". We must use this variable now to specify one or more Boostrap CSS 4 grid related classes, to be applied on the Report.

Solution for the Report control changes

If you use a Report control with their Wrapper variable set to "table", congratulations! You no need to do anything, in other words, the changes don't affect the "table" reports. On the contrary, if you use a Report control with their Wrapper variable set to "grid", then, you must take care, and, review the HTML code of that Report control. Basically you must to remove the "col-*" CSS classes from your Report HTML, and, use the new Report's RowClasses variable.

Don't worry. All the App Builder Report* samples are updated in the new release in order to shown you how to deal with the "RowClasses" variable. In fact, this class have a default value: "col-12 col-md-6 col-lg-4 col-xl-4", which can be good for a 99% of the Reports, so, remember what you must to do: remove from the Report's HTML code any "col-*" classes that you previously set. Then these classes don't interfere with the new ones. That's all!

Changes in the IFrame control

Not related with the Boostrap CSS framework, the next releases of AB changes how the IFrame controls are drawn. In order to be ready with the iOS platform, App Builder uses now certain technique when drawn an IFrame control. This technique is very well know, and, consists on add the IFrame in a Container, and, apply to that Container (and the IFrame itself) certain CSS rules in order to be ready with the iOS platform.

Solutions for the IFrame control changes

Only if you already apply that "trick" with your IFrame controls, that is, only if you place the IFrame control inside a Container, and then apply the well know CSS rules to it, you must take care. Since App Builder already apply the "trick" for you, what you must to do is to remove the IFrame from the Container, and remove the CSS rules that uses before. Now App Builder do the "trick", so, you no need to worry about the iOS platform "problem".

Changes in some CSS classes

Since DecSoft's App Builder do not use any more Bootstrap CSS version 3, any CSS class that you use in your apps related with this version of the framework don't work anymore as expected. Again, don't worry. You can take a look here at this migration guide, only if you find some specific problem.

Since DecSoft's App Builder do not include any more (by default) the Glyphicons icons, you must change it (if use) by the included ones. Supose you are using an icon in a Push button control. If the icon is already an Awesome icon (included by default in App Builder) you no need to worry about. If your icon come from the Glyphicons package, what you must to do is to select another icon from the availables.

Conclusion

This is the very first time (that I can remember) that some changes in App Builder can cause that some existing applications must be modified in order to be ready with that changes. The affected controls are, however, only the Report and the IFrame ones. These changes are needed, because we must say goodbye to Boostrap CSS 3 and the Glyphicons. With Boostrap CSS 4 we no need it anymore, so, maintain old code just for backward compatibility is not good in this specific case, because the old Boostrap CSS 3 code interfere with the new Boostrap CSS 4 code.

Are you ready?

When this post was published, a new release of DecSoft's App Builder has been published too. You can start to play with it, searching for possible problems like the mentioned above. I am here to help, then, if you have any related questions, please, just post here. On the other hand, I want to place here a previous release of DecSoft's App Builder, then, you can use it if you wanted too:

Download DecSoft's App Builder 2018.11

Now say goodbye to Boostrap CSS 3 and the Glyphicons icons, but, say also hello to the Boostrap CSS 4, the Awesome icons (I plain to update in a next release of App Builder too). These changes are required and to continue working with App Builder using the latest version of Boostrap CSS. Definitely.

Again, please, post here any possible problems around these changes. We will try to help you as quickly as possible.

Tinn Aphopchung

I got another problem on icon selector David.

decsoft

Hello tin,

Maybe sound stupid, but, since we are talking about some system font registration... please, follow this steps:

1º Uninstall App Builder.

2º Assert they are uninstalled by try to locate their files in C:\Program Files\David Esperalta\AppBuilder

3º Remove the above directory if they exists after uninstall.

4º Restart the computer (yes, restart the computer).

5º Install the latest release of App Builder.

6º Run it and look again at the icons selector dialog.

On the other hand, please, refer here your Windows version tin. I can't reproduce the problem here right now, so, I am not really sure about the possible solution. Follow the above steps and tell me what happen.

P.S. Remember this post too, since they appear a very similar issue...

Tinn Aphopchung

Already try your step.Problem still there.I think it was the same that topic problem
My window is Windows 10 Home Single language.
My user is superadmin(unlock superadmin)
How to register manually?

Hello tin,

Maybe sound stupid, but, since we are talking about some system font registration... please, follow this steps:

1º Uninstall App Builder.

2º Assert they are uninstalled by try to locate their files in C:\Program Files\David Esperalta\AppBuilder

3º Remove the above directory if they exists after uninstall.

4º Restart the computer (yes, restart the computer).

5º Install the latest release of App Builder.

6º Run it and look again at the icons selector dialog.

On the other hand, please, refer here your Windows version tin. I can't reproduce the problem here right now, so, I am not really sure about the possible solution. Follow the above steps and tell me what happen.

P.S. Remember this post too, since they appear a very similar issue...

decsoft

Hello tin,

I can't understand what the problem can be... and I want to know it... but I can't reproduce it here. Maybe other mate can say if he can view the icons selector dialog properly. On the other hand, if you want to try, the font file that must be registered (in principle by App Builder privately) is placed in "C:\Program Files\David Esperalta\AppBuilder\Fonts".

Try it and tell me what happen tin. Anyway this cannot be a solution for all...

Tinn Aphopchung

Another bug is I still got update even I was in version 2018.12.Maybe you didn't change version file on server.

Tinn Aphopchung
Hello tin,

I can't understand what the problem can be... and I want to know it... but I can't reproduce it here. Maybe other mate can say if he can view the icons selector dialog properly. On the other hand, if you want to try, the font file that must be registered (in principle by App Builder privately) is placed in "C:\Program Files\David Esperalta\AppBuilder\Fonts".

How to? just drag it to Windows Fonts in control panel?

decsoft

Hello to all,

Hello tin,

How to? just drag it to Windows Fonts in control panel?

Just double clic the font file, or, click here with the right mouse button and choose "Install".

decsoft

Hello to all,

Another bug is I still got update even I was in version 2018.12.Maybe you didn't change version file on server.

Thanks very much tin. The problem is not in the server, but, in App Builder itself. I fix it right now and a new release has been uploaded. So follow the updater and download it: the problem has been fixed. Thanks again for the report!

Tinn Aphopchung

ok.This bug was gone.But Icon still there.I try right click install or drag to font folder.It still missing.Try to restart too.

Hello to all,

Thanks very much tin. The problem is not in the server, but, in App Builder itself. I fix it right now and a new release has been uploaded. So follow the updater and download it: the problem has been fixed. Thanks again for the report!

decsoft

Hello to all,

ok.This bug was gone.But Icon still there.I try right click install or drag to font folder.It still missing.Try to restart too.

I am not quite sure right now, but I want to investigate it. Certainly I can see here the icons selector dialog without problems, in other words, I can't reproduce the problem, and this is not good in order to find the possible cause of the problem. I want to investigate a bit more, tin.

P.S. Is not a solution, of course, but, in the meanwhile, you can also search for an icon using the FontAwesome website, and then just use the appropriate CSS classes.

Tinn Aphopchung

I think bug was the same in 2017.11.David.

decsoft

Hello to all,

I think bug was the same in 2017.11.David.

I think so tin. In fact the only different on this aspect is that we did not register the other font icons any more, but, the FontAwesome icons are registered in the same way: no changes on this.

But you mention that finally get it working... and I can't reproduce the error...

Anyway, I plain to upgrade the FontAwesome icons, and, the newest release incorporates certain specific fonts for Windows: maybe this can solve the problem for you. I did not update the icons right now because they changes their CSS classes from "fa" to "fas", and I must think about this.

Tinn Aphopchung

Ok.I will wait for it,David.
Thanks.

decsoft

Hello to all,

Thanks.

At least I want to try it with the new fonts... The problem is that I can't reproduce the problem, so probably I get it working here anyway... but then you can try it. :)

decsoft

Hello to all,

Thanks.

Tin, I can test today App Builder in a Windows 7 operating system, and, the font with the icons can be registered without any problem. I also test it in my PC and my laptop without problems. Maybe is a question of the PC system language? What language you use in your PC?

Tinn Aphopchung
Hello to all,

Thanks.

Tin, I can test today App Builder in a Windows 7 operating system, and, the font with the icons can be registered without any problem. I also test it in my PC and my laptop without problems. Maybe is a question of the PC system language? What language you use in your PC?

Here it is.

decsoft

Hello tin,

Thanks for your reply. Certainly I don't really know what I think on the language. The only "rare thing" that appear in your attached image is that we are talking about a Windows 10 "Single Language" version (first time I know it) but this do not talk too much about your specific problem with the font registration.

Can you please try in other computer?

Tinn Aphopchung
Hello tin,

Thanks for your reply. Certainly I don't really know what I think on the language. The only "rare thing" that appear in your attached image is that we are talking about a Windows 10 "Single Language" version (first time I know it) but this do not talk too much about your specific problem with the font registration.

Can you please try in other computer?

I will try on my vmware image and let you know,David.

decsoft

Hello tin,

Maybe not the best environment to try (a virtual machine)! But can be good to know what happen. :)

Tinn Aphopchung
Hello tin,

Maybe not the best environment to try (a virtual machine)! But can be good to know what happen. :)

I test on vmware with window10 32 bit and window 7 32 bit.Font showing normally.I will investigate my windows 10 64 bit single language again.

decsoft

Hello to all,

Thanks tin. Certainly a "rare" issue... because App Builder uses the right Windows API function in order to register the font... and they works as expected in all the computers that I try. But maybe something is missing... :(

decsoft

Hello to all,

Just to inform that DecSoft's App Builder uses now the very latest release (version 5) of the FontAwesome icons. Please, tin, try the icon picker dialog again, since we play now with three different fonts specifically designed to be used in the desktop: I hope that you can see the icons now: here everything works as expected.

Tinn Aphopchung

Hello to all,

Just to inform that DecSoft's App Builder uses now the very latest release (version 5) of the FontAwesome icons. Please, tin, try the icon picker dialog again, since we play now with three different fonts specifically designed to be used in the desktop: I hope that you can see the icons now: here everything works as expected.

after update lastest version fontawsome come back again!

Thanks, David

decsoft

Hello to all,

after update lastest version fontawsome come back again!

Thanks, David

Glad to know tin! :)

Everybody can read the DecSoft support forum for learning purposes, however only DecSoft customers can post new threads. Purchase one or more licenses of some DecSoft products in order to give this and other benefits.

This website uses some useful cookies to store your preferences.

I agree. Hide this note. Give me more information.