Any attempt so far on Windows Phone?

Nelson Hernánez

I was just wondering, and since I'm very busy at the moment, if anyone as tried and app on Windows Phone... I understand that due to the standard nature of the technologies use to create the apps the result shouldn't vary all that much but still... Btw, if anyone don't feel like paying to deliver apps to the Windows Store go to BizSpark. Pretty good deal IMO. :)

decsoft

Hello Nelson,

To be honest until today I am mainly focused in web browsers and Android platforms. Since I prefer that I am right now downloading the required software for the Windows and Windows Phone 8 platforms: http://short.cz/2N

As you can say we can expect the things currently works well, not only by the nature of HTML5 apps, but also by the nature of the App Builder itself, intented to work in almost platforms as possible, starting with the web browsers.

But certainly I am interested to try in some possible Windows Phonen emulator and even I am thinkin in buy a more or less cheap Windows phone in order to test my own apps. Maybe another mate made some efforts on this platform and can help us.

Nelson Hernánez

Yeah, I believe it should be no problem, I'll try to check as soon as...

---------------

For those interested in trying to program for this platform I got some notes:

While using Visual Studio (2013) for developing apps you'll need to have Hyper-V activated to debug with the integrated emulator and for this to happen you'll need at least a Pro version of Windows. There's also a few additional requirements for running Hyper-V.

Once your hardware and software are sorted you'll need a Microsoft Developer Account for sending apps to your Phone and test them (obviously, also for submiting them to the Windows Store and sell them). The account is not free but there's BizSpark that allows you to free-ride pretty much every single Microsoft product available for the Ultimate subscription package of MSDN and you get a free year of Windows Developer Account. All of this free during 3 years.

The criteria for Bizspark:

If you are a software startup (not a consulting firm), less than 3 years, making less than 1M$ in annual revenues, you WILL be accepted. You can apply via Microsoft, or even better, via a network partner, like Bob, who can provide a lot of support and guidance on top of the core BizSpark offer.

That said, in order to audit the applications, we ask for a corporate email that matches your domain name, a valid website and a solid Business description. People applying with emails like @live.com or @gmail.com are not accepted and you will all understand why.

So its a bit of a process but I got to say, its easy enough... :)

decsoft

Hello,

Interesting information Nelson. Yesterday I try installing Visual Studio in order to get the SDK and other software ready to use with my Adobe Phonegap installation, however, maybe due to the options I choose during the installation, the build file start adding the platform and create some files, but terminates with some "requeriments" error.

I will try to do more test about that. Do not forget that Phonegap provide at least three ways for Microsoft platforms: Windows, which means our apps can be deployed to Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1; Windows Phone 7, suposelly to get our app ready to deploy in that version of Windows Phone; and also Windows Phone 8, to be used in order to deploy in this Windows Phone version.

I want to try with the first option, since a phone with the Windows 8.1 operating system have a more or less affordable price. Anyway remember that, at least at the current App Builder stage, we can try EVERYTHING in a browser, that is, using the App Builder included debugger. Or open our app in a browser using the HTTP served that AB incorporate. Maybe a couple of "Open in browser buttons" are a good idea.

This is the primary intention in App Builder: everything must run in a browser or must be emulated in a browser. An example can be the Vibrate and Beep actions. These actions relies on certain Phonegap plugins, Vibration and Dialogs, however, if they are not exists, the both actions works like we can expected by vibrating the screen (with a CSS animation) or play a beep sound. This primary intention, however, can be break by certain specific actions in the future.

When such time come, certainly, we need to think in how to emulate an Android device, for example, or how to connect a device in our computer in order to debug the compiled APK app. I have a better experience doing this instead of use an emulator, since the speed of the emulators are not too fast, at least in my computer.

Following with the Windows Phone or Windows platforms, maybe can be a good idea, at least to try, to using the Adobe Phonegap Build online service. I prefer the Adobe Phonegap CLI flavour, because the results appear better and also we do not get with the limitations of the free service of Adobe. I want to get an environment ready to deploy Windows and Windows Phone apps using the Phonegap CLI and the required Microsoft Windows software stuff, SDK's, etc.

Everybody can read the DecSoft support forum for learning purposes, however only DecSoft customers can post new threads. Purchase one or more licenses of some DecSoft products in order to give this and other benefits.

This website uses some useful cookies to store your preferences.

I agree. Hide this note. Give me more information.