The WebExtension sample and WebExtensions development

Samuel Vanneste

Hello David,
The concept of WebExtension seems really interesting. Thanks for the new sample provided. But I can absolutely not get it to work :

[list=*]

• Debugger, Firefox, Internet Explorer : show the controls with no effects

• Edge, Opera, Chrome : show no control at all in debug or run mode

• More : please, could you explain what we should do with the files in the App_Compiled directory ? I can see a manifest and a www folder but I was not able to find if they have to be packed and how.

I am lost : should the WebExtension sample do something in Debug mode ? Many thanks David

decsoft

Hello Samuel,

Yes; I am very happy with the WebExtensions concept, but remember! They are a relative new concept, so currently we can only try (or I try) with Chrome and Opera. Firefox 50 (nightly build) is also ready, but with some rare behaviour. Microsoft Edge promises to their users a way to convert WebExtensions into their own extensions... I think they must do, since WebExtensions are ready to stay in all other modern browsers... unfortunatelly maybe Internet Explorer is out of this field, but I am not sure about Internet Explorer 11 in the near future: may can finally support it.

So in order to clarify some points:

1º Our applications can run as WebExtensions "as is", but of course we can't use WebExtensions' stuff outside the browser, better said, until our app are installed as a WebExtension. What this means? Well. We can create applications that simply works as WebExtensions, like the Calculator example, which don't use at all any WebExtensions specific stuff. And we can create applications like the WebExtension sample, which in fact have non sense out of the WebExtensions world.

2º The "manifest" file is what we need to use in order to install the WebExtension to debug it. We must navigate to "chrome://extensions", for example, in Google Chrome. Then we choose the "Install unpacked WebExtensions" and just indicate where the manifest file is placed. In order to upload a WebExtension to a browser's store, we need to Zip our application as well the manifest: and we can do it from App Builder and the Zip app tool. Look at the Tools menu. When we are ready can navigate to the browsers store webpage (for example the Google Chrome Store), enters in our account and upload the Zip file. And that's all!

Hope this information can be useful to you Samuel, but please, don't hesitate to post here any further question. :)

decsoft

Hello to all,

Just to say that the currently available version of the Mozilla Firefox browser is perfectly capable to run our WebExtensions applications! Also I made certain change in the app core code in order to fix a problem with app's images in WebExtensions on Mozilla Firefox. So update your AB copy Samuel and enjoy it!

Ade Wale

Hi David,

Weldone. AB rock and ninja!

decsoft

Hello,

Hi David,

Weldone. AB rock and ninja!

Thanks Ade! :)

Everybody can read the DecSoft support forum for learning purposes, however only DecSoft customers can post new threads. Purchase one or more licenses of some DecSoft products in order to give this and other benefits.

This website uses some useful cookies to store your preferences.

I agree. Hide this note. Give me more information.