Problem with Console.log and Browser Plugins

• d
  • h
  • m
  • s

John Clarke
If I put a console.log("Debugging"); into my views show event its not showing on the browsers developers tools. How can I resolve this ?

decsoft

Hello John,

That's quite rare... are you talking about a "normal" app or a WebExtension app? In the first case, you must see that message (I can see it here using an app's view Show event)... in the second case, maybe you are looking at the console of the WebExtension, but, the message must appear in the app's console: if I am not wrong that consoles are differents, due to the different contexts.

John Clarke
I looked in both the extensions console on the extensions tab and the one provided by chromes developers tools. I cannot see the output of the console.log in either.

decsoft

Hello John,

That's quite rare... please, try with a new app... and place a "console.log" in the app's Show event... and look in the console... I can see it here, so, you also must see it... The only thing in which I can think is that the browser don't show the console messages for some reason... (?)

P.S. Try the new app in various browsers like Chrome (I think you use this) but also in Firefox or Edge, for example.

decsoft

Hello John,

Sorry... I did not read the title of the post... It's clear that you refer to a WebExtension app... Anyway, try what I say in my previous post, because, it's quite rare and I think that maybe the browser can be the "problem"... (maybe I am wrong...)...

John Clarke
When I debug in app builder I see the message. When I check with the browser I don't.

decsoft

Hello John,

But you are talking now about the new app? Are you try the new app in various browsers in addition to the AB debugger?

John Clarke
I am going to use a different approach to reporting what I need to report to the users. Then at a later date I will come back to this issue.

decsoft

Hello John,

Here some additional information... I am thinking in the browser's console to see the messages placed from the app's views, for example, from the app's view's Show event... I am wrong, John... the message appear in the console, but, in the console which is made specifically for the WebExtension.

Trying here the "WebExtension" sample app and place a "console.log" in the app's view Show event, I can see the message here in Firefox, but, not in Chrome (?). Again, we are talking about the console specifically for the WebExtension: I need to right click the installed WebExtension in Firefox and then select the menu item "Inspect".

Doing that I can see the message in the Firefox console, but not in the Chrome console... and right now I can't imagine why Firefox can show the message but Chrome can't show it...

decsoft

Hello again, John,

More news... In order to show the console for the WebExtension, I do it from the right click menu of the "installed extensions" page... this is apparently wrong... or at least in Chrome don't work as in Firefox. Finally I can see the console message also in Chrome, but, launching the console from the WebExtension popup... you must right click in the WebExtension popup and select "Inspect"... then you must see the console message, at least from the app's view Show event, which is what I try for the moment.

John Clarke
That solves the problem. Thanks.

decsoft

You're welcome, sir! ;-)

Everybody can read the DecSoft support forum for learning purposes, however only DecSoft customers can post new threads. Purchase one or more licenses of some DecSoft products in order to give this and other benefits.

This website uses some useful cookies to store your preferences.

I agree. Hide this note. Give me more information.